The British Empire continues to cause enormous disagreement among historians. Find out why and join the debate. Explore the British Empire through six controversial themes. Over six weeks, we’ll explore the British Empire through six themes – money, violence, race, religion, gender and sex, and propaganda. You’ll get to hear the stories of the fascinating individuals who contributed to both its rise and fall.
Along the way, you’ll be able to debate the questions these themes raise with learners from around the world, and draw your own conclusions.
What topics will you cover?
– The relationship between Empire and money
– The nature of violence within Empire
– The connection between race, religion and British imperialism
– The role of women in Empire and how attitudes to sex influenced British imperialism
– The significance of British imperial culture
– British decolonisation and the concept of ‘neo-imperialism’
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
– Identify key themes through which the controversies of British Imperialism can be explored
– Demonstrate an understanding of the complexities of British Imperialism through debate and contributions to the learning community
– Develop your understanding of British imperialism
ENROLL IN COURSE