Get an introduction to Ireland’s culture by learning the basics of the Irish language. Ireland is home to a unique language and a vibrant Gaelic culture. On this course, you’ll discover how Irish people drew inspiration from nature to create their own unique script and alphabet.
You’ll explore Ireland’s rich culture of dance, Gaelic games, music, storytelling and literature. And you’ll gain an insight into the language of Ireland and the people who speak it.
So take the first step on your journey to learn one of the oldest literary languages in Europe.
What topics will you cover?
– Introduction to the Irish language
– Ogham and the first writing in Irish
– The alphabet & pronunciation
– Greetings, blessings and curses
– Irish names and mythology
– Me, my family and where I come from
– An overview of the Gaeltachtaí and other cultural places in Ireland
– Numbers and counting
– The home and social life
– Amenities, directions and Gaelic sport
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
– Engage with the Irish language through culture
– Explore the beginnings of the written language through learning about OGHAM and the origins of the Irish alphabet
– Discuss greetings, blessings and curses in the Irish language
– Discuss where you and your people come from
– Describe your family, your home and your interests
– Compare Irish names and gain an understanding of naming conventions in Irish
– Explore the cultural association of the language with mythology, sport and music
– Identify the Gaeltachtaí or Irish speaking areas where Irish is the main language of communication
ENROLL IN COURSE