Learn about Meyerhold’s form of physical theatre, biomechanics, and understand and perform ‘The Slap’. This course introduces you to world-renowned Russian director Meyerhold’s technique of biomechanics. It invites you to study and experience first-hand his revolutionary biomechanical étude, ‘The Slap’.
Through a mixture of video, animation, discussion forums and practical exercises you will begin to understand Meyerhold’s Russian actor training technique – a two-minute repeatable exercise used to develop balance, awareness and expression. You will be invited to explore your own response to this unique approach to training and will share these responses with your fellow learners.
What will you achieve?
– Explore and discuss events in Russia during the first half of the 20th century to help understand the development of Russian theatre, and the lives of Meyerhold and his contemporaries.
– Assess your understanding of biomechanics and the études.
– Reflect on the week’s learning by contributing to the discussion regarding moving in a biomechanical manner.
– Perform the biomechanics and études warm up activities.
– Explore the three components of ‘the Slap’.
– Develop your physical experience of moving biomechanically.
– Investigate historical examples of writing, still images and moving images and consider how you would like to record your experiences.
– Assess your understanding by completing the test which concludes the course.
ENROLL IN COURSE